Monday, February 14, 2011

Tot School- Letter of the Week- Letter Vv

D is 31 months

In honor of Vanlentine's day I decided to make this Vv week!
 


We started off the week by having Dude trace the letter V with his finger on a portion of our floor mat. We also tried out the salt box but he didn't have any interest in drawing a V there, so we just made silly faces instead.
 


He did however want to do this tracing worksheet that I downloaded from 1+1+1=1. He actually did it for a LOOOONG time. He'd draw maybe a centimeter then erase it because it wasn't straight enough, then try again, then erase again, and again, and again, etc.
 


Next we tried a cutting worksheet from COAH. Dude is smiling in the picture, but he really struggled with this and eventually abandoned it. I think the angles were just too much for him right now so next time we'll try a simpler sheet or maybe try to work cutting into a craft somehow.
 


As usual he colored his phonics coloring page. We use Triangular Crayons
to help work on proper grip.
 


Getting a little more into the Valentine's spirit, he practiced counting to 5 with conversation hearts on a worksheet from COAH.



And did his beloved Do A Dot Paints . This sheet is also from COAH.

 

He did a V letter hunt.
 


He burned off some energy playing this little game inspired by Making Learning Fun. We changed things up a bit and I cut hearts out of craft foam, spread them around the room, and gave him a plastic basket. I would then say something like "A tisket, a tasket, can you put 1 (or 2) blue hearts in your basket?" He then ran to do this as fast as he could.  We played this several times and on another day I added numbers to the hearts and called those out instead of the colors. He had a lot of fun with this! You could also hide the hearts for an extra challenge.
 


We played a game of Hi Ho Cherry-O that I thought would never end ;) Dude does love it though and I like the counting practice, so we play often.

 

He did a V is for Vegetables magnet page.
 


I made him this tanagram-type puzzle using a template from Making Learning Fun. Once again I changed things up a bit. I only cut out the actual heart shape parts (not the background pieces) I also made mine out of craft foam for durability. And instead of printing out the full size pattern card for him to match the pieces to, I free-handed a smaller control card as a reference for him. He was initially a bit confused by the pieces being so much larger than the pattern, but with a little help he completed it.
 


He did his letter V letter builders.
 


He did some conversation heart color sorting using a mat from Lawteedah's valentine tot pack.
 


He did some heart quilt matching from COAH.
 


We played this simple roll, count, and cover game I got from 2 Teaching Mommies. I printed out 2 copies so we could take turns and play it as an actual game. We both won, of course ;) .
 


Later in the week our coloring page turned into a collage of words that begin with V. I got the pictures from the same site as the coloring page and used booklet printing to print them at 50% of regular size. I also drew a valentine & volcano pictures for him to glue on as well.
 


We did some patterning with valentine candies.
 


 

And some counting with the same foam hearts we used for our A tisket, A tasket game.
 


We ended our V week with a bunch of balloon Volleyball!

You can also see more activities we did this week on my What's On The Trays #1 post.
 

And don't forget to check out what others are doing in their versions of Tot School at 1+1+1=1.

 

2 comments:

  1. I really like the game with the foam hearts! My little guy loves to run around and learn at the same time. This would be perfect for him. I will have to remember it for future use. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is exactly the same! I'm really trying to incorporate more active learning into our activities because he loves it so much. Hope you have as much luck with that game as we did!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...